• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share via Email
The City offers two flexible spending accounts (FSAs), administered by HealthEquity, that let you set aside tax-free money from your paycheck to pay for out-of-pocket expenses like deductibles, coinsurance, prescription drug copays and dependent day care.

Because FSAs offer such favorable tax breaks, they have certain rules. Visit www.HealthEquity.com for details.  Or, read this FAQ for more information.

You can participate in one or both of the FSAs - even if you don't enroll for City medical coverage:

• Health Care FSA
• Dependent Care FSA


  Health Care FSA Dependent Care FSA
You can contribute $120 - $2,850/year - tax-free $120 - $5,000/year - tax-free (1)
To reimburse yourself for Medical, dental and vision expenses considered tax-deductible but not covered by insurance including eligible expenses incurred by your dependents (2) Dependent daycare expenses for your eligible dependents (2)

(1) If you're married and file separate tax returns, the most you can contribute is $2,500/year.

(2) Rules and restrictions apply. Your dependents do not have to be covered under a City benefit plan.


1. Estimate your health care and/or dependent care expenses separately.

You can use BCBST's Blue Access website at www.BCBST.com to:

• View your personal health statement and see your projected expenses based on your claims

• Use the health plan comparison tool to see your projected out-of-pocket costs

My Health Participants: don't forget about contributions the City makes into your Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) for committing to a health-conscious lifestyle.

2. Decide how much to contribute to each account.

Your contributions will be deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis - that is, before taxes are taken out of your check - and deposited into your account(s). The IRS changed the "Use It or Lose It" rule a few years ago. Now, up to $500 can rollover into the next plan year. Any unused amount over $500 left in your account at the end of the year will be forfeited.

3. Pay your eligible expenses using one of the following options:

• Use your HealthEquity debit card.
It contains your Health Care FSA balance as well as your HRA balance and works like cash at any vendor that accepts health care debit cards.

• Pay online.
Log onto your FSA/HRA account at www.HealthEquity.com and use the Pay My Provider or Pay Me Back features.

• File a claim.
Pay the expense as you normally would. Then submit your receipts, along with a HealthEquity claim form, via mail, email or fax to the address on the form.

Be sure to save your receipts and explanations of benefits (EOBs) in case you're later asked by HealthEquity to verify a purchase. This is especially important if you use your debit card at a medical services provider.


Visit www.HealthEquity.com for more plan and eligible expense details.