The Engineering Department performs all engineering and technical services for city departments, including design work and contract administration for streets, bridges, sidewalks, drainage and other public works projects. The largest of the contract categories is the city's street paving program, which has repaved more than 1,100 miles of the city's streets since 1988.
The Engineering Department provides professional expertise in the planning and design of improvements to existing roadways and bridges, working with the Tennessee Department of Transportation
(TDOT) and Knoxville Regional Transportation Planning Organization
(TPO) on short-term and long-term improvements to the city's transportation system. In addition, the Engineering Department also reviews plans and plats in conjunction with the Metropolitan Planning Commission
(MPC) and other city agencies. The Engineering Department handles traffic signs & signals, stormwater management, drainage complaints, stormwater quality issues, temporary traffic control permits, etc. Ward maps and other information are maintained at the Technical Services Counter
on the 4th floor of the City County Building.
Civil Engineering Division
3131 Morris Avenue
- City contracts, contract management, & inspections for streets, sidewalks, bridges and greenways.
- Conducts regular inspections and maintenance of city infrastructure (streets, sidewalks, bridges, greenways).
- Miscellaneous survey and design projects to support other city departments.
- Coordination of ROW permits and street cuts.
- Maintains standard specifications and details for use on city contracts and other projects.
- Works with neighborhood groups, City Council, TDOT and other local and state agencies.
- Develops and maintains a survey control network to ensure a consistent coordinate system throughout the City, and publishes survey control data for use by KGIS, surveyors, engineers, developers and other interested parties.
Stormwater Engineering Division
4th floor City County Bldg
- Conducts plans review and issues site development permits.
- Reviews plats, easements, and ROW dedications/closures.
- Provides design guidance to developers with Land Development Manual and BMP Manual.
- Stormwater monitoring & sampling; NPDES permits; public education for stormwater pollution.
- Stormwater quality hotline 865-215-4147; emergency investigations of spills and leaks.
- Drainage complaints & investigations, coordination of city drainage improvement projects.
- Technical Services counter, 865-215-2103 (maps, engineering plans, ward maps, city block numbers, GIS topographic maps, subdivision plats, public rights-of-way, survey control data)
- Streetlights (planning, inspection, coordination, complaints)
Traffic Engineering Division
3131 Morris Avenue
- Maintains and replaces traffic signals, pavement markings, and street signs.
- Conducts regular inspections and inventory of city traffic infrastructure. Investigate traffic complaints.
- Miscellaneous design projects for traffic signals, pavement markings, and street signs.
- Monitors traffic accidents and traffic volumes throughout the city.
- Manages and maintains the city parking meters.
- Works with neighborhood groups, TDOT and state agencies concerning traffic issues.
Online maps are now available from KGIS Maps
, an interactive KGIS website that can display property ownership, addresses, parcel IDs, CLT map numbers, districts, wards, voting precincts, school zones, buildings, streets, land use zoning, city and county limits, recorded deed references, etc.