Streetlight Design and Installation

Engineering Director

James R. Hagerman, P.E.
(865) 215-2148

400 Main St., Suite 480
P.O. Box 1631
Knoxville, TN 37901

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Google+
  • Share via Email

City of Knoxville

Engineering Department, Aaron Kline - 865-215-2152 

Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB)
Streetlight Design, Linda Allen - 865-558-2673

Lenoir City Utilities Board (LCUB)
Streetlights, Mitch Ledbetter - 865-986-6591

REPORT DAMAGED - Report streetlight does not work or is damaged
Knoxville Utilities Board, Call 865-524-2911 or send email to
Lenoir City Utilities Board, Call 865-986-6591

DESIGN HELP - Selecting streetlight design for a new street
Aaron Kline,, City of Knoxville, 865-215-2152
Linda Allen, Knoxville Utilities Board, 865-558-2673

REQUEST NEW LIGHT- Submit reguest for a new streetlight on an existing street
Aaron Kline,, City of Knoxville, 865-215-2152

StreetlightStreetlights help to ensure safe movement of traffic for vehicles and pedestrians, as well as deter criminal activity. Lighting should be based on field conditions relating to roadway classifications and volumes in order to justify the type of streetlights selected. The City of Knoxville has approximately 30,000 streetlights in the city system. High-pressure sodium lights are currently being used on city streets, however, in an effort to become more energy efficient and sustainable, we have adopted Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights as our standard for all new installations.  Other light types (High Pressure Sodium, etc.) may still be used in isolated circumstances when the City is installing a single light, filling a gap between existing lights of the same type, or replacing a bulb on an existing light.  In 2010, the City of Knoxville, KUB, and TVA partnered together to start the first LED pilot installation in Knoxville, and after approximately one year of evaluation, the City changed our standard to LED for new installations.  After evaluating several LED products, in late 2012 the City and KUB selected the Cooper Navion as the City’s standard for new overhead installations.

The City of Knoxville Engineering Department pays the local utility company (KUB or LCUB) for maintenanance, repair and electricity for the streetlights on public streets. For wood-pole installations, typical spacing is approximately 200 feet and a typical design height is 30 to 40. Actual spacing of streetlights can vary widely, depending on width of street, the type of streetlight selected, and number of street intersections and curves.

When a new subdivision is proposed with streets to be dedicated to the City of Knoxville, there are two options for street light installations.  

Option one:  The developer installs the street lights at their expense.  They select a City of Knoxville approved street light pole and fixture, prepare a design for both the City of Knoxville and the appropriate utility (KUB or LCUB) review, and install the lights during the site development permit process.  Once the street light installation (inspected by both the appropriate utility KUB or LCUB and the Department of Engineering) and the subdivision’s development certification are approved, then the City of Knoxville will take ownership of the street lights.  

Option two:  The developer requests the City of Knoxville to install street lights.  The City evaluates and decides which light pole/fixture is appropriate to install and the appropriate utility (KUB or LCUB) prepares a lighting design.  The City will not install street lights in a subdivision until at least 85% of all properties adjacent to all proposed lights are built-out.  This eliminates damage to the street lights resulting from construction within the subdivision and also prevents unnecessary costs associated with partial small installations.  The City of Knoxville’s street lighting budget will also determine if and when the street lights can be installed.

The City of Knoxville does not provide streetlights at locations to illuminate private property (parking lots, houses, driveways, private streets). Contact your local utility (KUB or LCUB) for more information on installing a streetlight on private property.

To report a streetlight that is out contact the appropriate local utility company:

KUB at 865-524-2911 or email
LCUB at 865-986-6591