Civil War Living History Weekend at Ramsey House Plantation

Communications Director

Eric Vreeland
evreeland@knoxvilletn.gov
(865) 215-3480

400 Main St., Room 654A
Knoxville, TN 37902

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share via Email

Civil War Living History Weekend at Ramsey House Plantation

Posted: 06/18/2009
Ramsey House presents "Civil War Living History Weekend" June 27-28, 2009.

Starting at 10 both days, visitors may stroll through the Union and Confederate encampment for a glimpse of the life of a Civil War soldier. And don't miss the battles held each day at 2:00 pm! 
 
Other activities will include maneuvers, drills, and weapons demonstrations; period clothing; book signings; music; and tours of historic Ramsey House where visitors will learn of Ramsey family ties to the Civil War.

An addition to this year’s event will be special educational stations for area Scouts on Saturday from 10-2.

Ramsey House Plantation is located at 2614 Thorn Grove Pike, in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Admission is $5.00 per person; children under 6 free.

On site parking and food is available.

For more information, see the Events page of Ramsey House website, www.ramseyhouse.org or call 865-546-0745.
 
The Ramsey House is located at 2614 Thorngrove Pike, Knoxville, Tennessee 37914 HISTORY OF THE RAMSEY HOUSE

The Ramsey House was built in 1797 by Knoxville's first builder, Thomas Hope, for Francis Alexander Ramsey.  The structure is significant for original interior and exterior architectural features and its period decorative art collection.The Ramsey Family was one of the first families to settle the Knoxville area. They played vital roles in developing civic, educational and cultural institutions. Colonel Francis A. Ramsey was one of the founding trustees of Blount College, now the University of Tennessee. One of his sons, Dr. J.G.M. Ramsey authored an early history of the state, The Annals of Tennessee. Another son, William B.A. Ramsey, was the first elected mayor of Knoxville.The historic house was bought in 1952 by the A.P.T.A., along with one acre of land. Today, the site consists of 101.5 acres, a historic house restored and furnished to the period of Frances A. Ramsey's occupancy (1797-1820), a Visitor Center, and heirloom gardens.

Ramsey House Plantation is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.