Public Service Coordinator
**The City is Modernizing its Residential Garbage Pick-Up Services**
Wheeled carts will be delivered in December 2016 with pick-up services using new carts beginning January 2nd 2017. Visit our Curbside Garbage
page for complete details. Click here
for frequently asked questions or check out the Cart Smart blog.
Starting in January 2017 residents can set out their wheeled garbage cart with household trash in the cart, plus up to 5 bulky items.
What is bulky waste?
• Bulky waste items are household items such as furniture, tires, appliances, and other household items too large to fit in your garbage cart, and are set out on the same day as garbage next to your cart.
• Appliances containing coolant (e.g. refrigerator/freezer) must be drained of Freon by certified personnel and tagged with proof of proper draining. Freon containing appliances not tagged appropriately will not be collected and hauled away. Residents can also transport these appliances to the Solid Waste Management Facility or to PSC metals where qualified staff can drain the appliance and discard appropriately.
What is NOT considered bulky waste?
• Construction waste is not bulky waste and is the responsibility of the contractor or homeowner to remove. These materials can be taken to the Solid Waste Management Facility at 1033 Elm Street.
• Home renovation materials are not bulky waste. This includes even small projects such as replacing doors, windows, toilets, and other home improvement projects. These materials can be taken to the Solid Waste Management Facility at 1033 Elm Street for proper disposal.
• Bulky waste is NOT additional bags of household garbage that the cart was too full to hold.
• Other items that will not be picked up as bulky waste include but are not limited to specialty items such as pianos, auto parts, yard waste, and construction and demolition material.
• If you have difficulty keeping garbage to the amount the cart will hold, the City offers other options, including a recycling program that can help residents manage waste. Also, Waste Connections will provide an additional cart and service for a small fee. Call Waste Connections at 865-522-8161 for more information.