POLICE EXPLORERS - POST #300
The Knoxville Police Department Explorer Post is a volunteer organization that was formed to provide a law enforcement background and training to senior members of the Boy Scouts of America.
The goal of the Police Explorer Post is to prepare individuals between the ages of 14 and 21 years of age to become police officers through education, training, and work experience. Individuals belonging to the Explorer Post are encouraged to transition to the Knoxville Police Department Cadet Program at 18 years of age.
The Explorer Post comes under the supervision of the Patrol Commander and is assigned to the Support Services Section. Sworn police officers are advisors and managers of the post. They supervise and oversee all activities in which the Explorers are involved. General Information
- The Explorer Post is an organization within the Knoxville Police Department and is affiliated with Learning-for-Life / Exploring (a branch of the Boy Scouts of America).
- Designed to educate and expose those who are interested in law enforcement to the aspects and functions of the job, helping to determine a future career path.
- The Explorer Post provides working support to the Knoxville Police Department.
- Applicants are taken year round. Orientations for parents and explorers, along with the basic 60 hour Explorer Academy, are held once or twice a year.
Meetings / Training
- For young men and women ages 14-20 years old who have completed the eighth grade
- The Explorer Unit is very disciplined organization. They must maintain a professional demeanor and attitude both on and off duty
- Explorer applicants are required to attend an orientation meeting with their parent / guardian, and complete necessary application forms
- The applicant must have no criminal history.
- Most equipment and uniforms are provided by the Knoxville Police Department, but the Explorer is required to purchase a few items prior to, and throughout, their tenure
- There are no fees or dues
- The Explorer must maintain an academic average of 2.0 or higher at school
- Must be dedicated, physically fit, and able/willing to follow basic instructions/directions
- The Explorer is required to attend meetings, training, and events with minimal absences
- The Explorers are required to abide by the Explorer Standard Operating Procedures, as well as all Knoxville Police Department General Orders.
Some of the basic training includes:
- Regular meetings are held every Tuesday from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
- Meetings consist of administrative updates, scheduling upcoming events, and training.
- Due to the nature of the work, the training is very formal and disciplined
- Recruits and Explorers must achieve at least an 80% on all academics
Activities, Assignments & Assist Patrol with:
- Overview of the police department
- Basic Criminal Law
- Traffic Control
- Officer Survival
- Defensive Driving
- Patrol Procedures
- Radio Procedures
- UT home football games
- Crime Prevention Events
- Downtown Events and Patrols
- Ride-a-Long program
- Competitions with other posts
- Assist with KPD Boat Patrols
For additional information or to be placed on our recruitment list, please e-mail Sergeant Sam Henard at email@example.com