Community Development administers a variety of programs geared toward the revitalization of Knoxville's low-to-moderate income neighborhoods. In order for resources to have the greatest impact, the Department targets its programs to strategy areas that are selected periodically.
Fair Housing Program:
Neighborhood Strategy Areas:
Solutions to Problem Properties:
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT PROVIDES:
* Programs to improve housing opportunities for lower-income homeowners, tenants and homebuyers as well as assistance to organizations serving Knoxville's homeless population.
* A Fair Housing Program to promote equal opportunity in housing in Knoxville.
* Activities that identify vacant, blighted or problem properties and seek developers to return them to productive use.
* Support for programs that assist neighborhoods in identifying and solving their own problems
* Support for programs that provide training and employment to lower-income citizens or to assist lower-income citizens in starting small businesses.
* Five Points Commercial Development
* Lonsdale Redevelopment
* Vestal Redevelopment
Energy Star Partner - The City of Knoxville is a proud partner of ENERGY STAR. The Community Development Department's Owner Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program has built thirteen (13) Energy Star homes and plan on building more Energy Star-certified homes. ENERGY STAR qualified products and practices help you save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. EPA and U.S. DOE. The ENERGY STAR label also designates superior energy performance in homes and buildings. More information is available on the ENERGY STAR website at www.energystar.gov