ATTENTION CITY OF KNOXVILLE EMPLOYEES: All positions should be applied for by logging into your PeopleSoft account. This is the only way the system will identify you as a City Employee. Go to Self-Service; Recruiting Activities; Careers. If you do not know your UserID and Password, you may contact the Help Desk for assistance. You must complete the entire application to be considered for the position which you are applying for.
Our online application process works best with Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9 versions. It may also work with Firefox version 3.6 , Safari 5, or Chrome 10. These versions have been certified by our vendor. Later versions of the browsers have not yet been certified by our vendor.
If you attempt to sign in using Internet Explorer (IE) 10, you may receive the following message:
TypeError: Unable to get property ‘errorCode’ of undefined or null reference
Please click on the compatibility view button on your browser and login again (It is usually to the right of the address in the address section - see browser image below).
STEP 1: Find A Job Vacancy
• Applications are only accepted by the City of Knoxville for jobs in which there is a current vacancy.
Go Here to View Online Job Listings
• Applications are only accepted online.
Go Here to Apply for City Jobs
• To view the job information for a particular vacancy, click on the Job Title to view the details.
• Each position listed in our job openings includes minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications listed for a positions will not be considered for employment.
STEP 2: Submit an Application Online
• You do not have to be registered or logged in to view job vacancies, but you must be registered and logged in to apply for a job vacancy.
• Once you have found a job in which you are interested:
1. Log-in to Your Account.
2. Select the job title you are interested in and open the job details page by clicking on the job title.
3. From the detailed job posting for which you are interested, click the "Apply Now" button.
4. On the next page, select which resume option you want. While it is highly recommended that you attach a resume as a Word, HTML, or RTF document, it is not required unless the Job Posting specifically indicates it as a requirement.
5. Some positions have pre-screen questions. If pre-screen questions are displayed, answer each question , indicate your agreement with the terms and conditions, and click "continue." If you are qualified to proceed, you will be notified. Click "continue" on the notification screen to proceed to the application.
6. Complete the application as thoroughly as possible. While not all fields are required, you are encouraged to complete each section, even if that information is on your resume. At any time, you can save the application and return to it at a later time.
7. Ensure that you have completed all required questions and application sections.
8. When you have completed your application and are ready to submit it for consideration, click "Submit". If you do not click Submit your application will not be considered.
9. Once the submission screen is open, you may elect to complete the demographic information portion of the application or leave it blank. You must indicate your agreement with the terms of the application process and once again click "Submit."
10. You will see a message indicating that you have successfully submitted your application.
• You must submit a completed application for each position for which you are applying. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Be sure to include ALL documents and attachments that are listed as requirements on the job vacancy announcement.
• An automatic email is submitted to candidates after your application has been submitted. If you do not receive this email, but want to verify that your application has been received you will need to sign-in to your account and select My Career Tools and then change the display to All Applications. Any application that has been submitted will have a status of Applied.
STEP 3: Take the Test
Your application may be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications. If you meet these qualifications, you will be eligible to compete for the vacancy. Most City of Knoxville jobs require a testing process. There are two basic types of entry examination: 1) A Training & Experience Questionnaire and 2) A Written Examination.
Training & Experience Questionnaire:
This test will be included with the application and will consist of several essay type questions that you must complete. These questions will be clearly designated as "Training & Experience Questions." Your answers to these questions will be rated by a subject matter expert and you will receive an overall test score based upon your ratings. Your score will be mailed to you at the conclusion of the scoring process. Failure to complete and pass the Training & Experience Questionnaire will eliminate you from consideration for the position.
Written Examinations are multiple choice tests that are specific to the job that you are applying for. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be scheduled for the written test and will be notified of the date and time of the test. After taking the test, your score will be sent to you by email. Failure to take and pass a Written Examination will eliminate you from consideration for the position.
STEP 4: After the Test
After your examination is scored, your results will be emailed to you. Test scores will not be given out over the phone. If you receive a passing score, your name will be placed on the Eligibility Register (a list of all persons eligible for employment) for that job and ranked in order of score with the other applicants. Your rank on the register can change as more applicants are added, hired, or removed.
After the qualified applicants are tested on the knowledge and skills necessary for a job and passing scores are placed on the Eligibility Register, the five highest ranked applicants are submitted to the department director for final selection. At this point, the department may call you in for an interview or to gain additional information. After a selection is made, Civil Service processes the successful candidate for employment and the other applicants remain eligible for future vacancies for one year.